Skip to main content

Top 8 Classroom Tips to Help Students with ADHD

It seems that today, more than ever, we are seeing more and more students with attention problems in our classrooms.  Here are some of my top tips for teaching students with ADHD-like symptoms.

1.  Seating Arrangement

My students listen attentively to our "special visitor." Students have assigned places at the carpet and I carefully consider each spot.
       Carefully consider the best place for these students to sit. I often like to have them sit right in the front row at the carpet.  There are usually fewer distractions for them to see from here and I can easily lean forward and gently tap them on the shoulder or knee when they need a little redirection. I have one little guy that shifts around and moves constantly...I placed him on the edge of one of my rows, which gives him a little more room to wiggle around.  I also assign places at our tables...I carefully think about who I want these kids to sit by.  Sitting them next to a hard working, on-task student often has a positive impact on them.  If they are a constant mover, I'll put them in a spot that has a little more space (some of my tables have only two students on one side, versus three students on the other side).

2.  Type of Seating

       Students simply NEED to move.  I was surprised to once hear a teacher say that by the time a child reaches a certain age, he/she should be able to sit still and not need any of the flexible seating choices offered today.  She thought they were just toys.  I completely disagree.  Even at my age, I find it can be difficult sitting on an uncomfortable chair for a given amount of time.  Even one hour in a hard chair is tedious.  Just imagine how our students feel!   If students are comfortable and have a little "wiggle" room, they can listen and focus better in class.

I have put this to the test in my classroom.  I have a energetic little girl that desperately struggles to focus and stay on task!  It used to take her twice as long as her peers to finish assignments...she was constantly distracted from the task at hand.  So, I decided to try her out on a wobble stool.  Yes, I was a little worried that this would become even more of a distraction for her.  But to my surprise, I saw a huge increase in the speed in which she got her assignments done.  She literally got MORE completed when she used the wobble chair.  It really worked!  That prompted me to write a couple grants to get more wobble stools in my classroom along with some other seating options.

      Watch for a future post on the types of seating options I like in my classroom.

3.  Lesson Presentation and Pace

Be expressive!
       It can be SUPER hard for a student to be attentive and focused during a whole group lesson, but there are definitely techniques that help.   First, keep a quick pace.  It's almost an art to get the pacing right, but through trial and error, you can find a pace just right for your class.  You want to go just fast enough to keep their attention, but not too fast that students become frustrated.  I love to keep a quick pace and in order to do that, I really have to have a good plan in place.  No stopping to labor over lesson plans and figure out what we do next...just go, go, go.    I love to move quickly and smoothly through a variety of "I do, WE do, and YOU do" activities.  Another technique is to show emotion!  Get excited about your lesson and show that excitement...the more expressive you can be with your face, the more engaging it is for your students.  Don't be afraid to let loose and be silly.  The kids will love it! Finally, use inflections with your voice.  Switch to a whisper like you're telling them a secret...then get loud as your explain something new.  Alternate between different volume levels to keep things interesting.

4. Redirect

   
 Students with ADHD need a lot of reminders and redirection.  Sometimes these are simply visual reminders...make eye contact with them or walk close to where they are sitting.  Sometimes a light tap on the shoulder and knee helps them to reset.  Many times I quietly use their name, "Aubrey, eyes right here" and then continue talking.  This is said in a kind manner and students know they are not in trouble in any way.  It's also so quick that most other students don't even pick up on it and it doesn't distract from the message I am teaching.  These re-directions are in no way to be singling out a child or embarrassing them, only as a quick cue for them to listen.   Part of this really comes down to the classroom culture you have set up.  If it seems a child is embarrassed when you verbally remind them in class, come up with a private signal between the two of you.


5.  Get Up and Move!

KinderGrossMotor Kindergarten Gross Motor Curriculum     Make sure to provide lots of movement opportunities for your students.  If a lesson is getting long, throw some jumping jacks into the middle, to get the blood flowing.  I often like to start my math lessons off with a counting/movement song by Jack Hartmann. There are lots of great ones on YouTube. When we practice counting during calendar time we always use whole body movements: 20 toe touches, marches, cross taps, etc.  Have you heard of GoNoodle?  This is such a fun website with tons of engaging songs, dances, and movement activities.  Many of these are only a few minutes, but have lasting benefits.  My students' favorite is "Run the Red Carpet". I also love the Kinder Gross Motor Curriculum resource by Tara West on Teachers Pay Teachers.  It offers quick movement activity ideas that you can pull out and use at any time.

6Assignment Adjustments


     Consider shortening assignments...every other problem, just one side of the paper, etc.  Frequently give encouraging comments to help keep them motivated.  I might tell a student, "See if you can get to the end of this line by the time I come back to check on you."  Then, give them ample opportunity to finish so that they can feel success and hear praise when you come back to check on them. Sometimes I use a timer on my watch..."I'll time you and raise your hand as soon as you get to this point."  Then, "Now, do the the next line and see if you can beat your time."  The key is to keep things positive and upbeat...let them know you believe in them! I know it can be easy to get frustrated, but try to realize that it's tough for them too!

7. Get them involved

     Find a way to involve these students in the lesson.  Call on them to answer a question or ask them to repeat the directions you are about to tell.  Remember, you are not trying to single them out in a negative way or "catch" them off-task.  You are simply getting them involved so that they can listen better.  You are promoting and teaching correct behavior.  My kinders LOVE being my helpers in a lesson...so they feel privileged when I choose someone to come up to the front to demonstrate something or call on them to participate in any way. And if I choose a child that is struggling to focus, it instantly wakes them up and engages them in a positive way.
   

8. Reward System 

     Sometimes I feel like a student needs something more concrete/visual/intensive than my tips listed

above.  In that case, I might use some type of reward system/token economy.   One idea I like to use, is I put a laminated 3x5 card with smiley face stickers on it on his/her desk.  Each time I catch him/her on task, I use an Expo marker to circle a smiley face.  When a certain number are circled, he/she earns a pre-determined reward.  I like this method because it's visual, gives instant feedback, and it's very positive.

What are some of your favorite strategies for students with ADHD?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 7 Deadly Errors of Teaching Reading

There’s a wrong way to teach reading and, unfortunately, it’s also the most popular way.   So, if you’ve ever committed these teaching errors, don’t worry, you’re not alone.   I’ve been there, too.   I was shocked when I realized that many teacher prep courses and even professional development classes are teaching reading methods not supported by science.   If you’re reading this blog and find yourself surprised or even defensive at these “errors,” please take a moment to step back, take a deep breath, and use it as a springboard to start your journey into learning more about the science of reading.   Instead of feeling denial, guilt, or anger…I encourage you to simply learn more and do better. Deadly Error #1:   3-Cueing Strategies (aka the Beanie Baby Reading Strategies)               I know they’re cute and cuddly. I know everyone uses them. I know you’ve scoured dozens of thrift stores to finally complete your set.   But there is actually no research to support these “B

Sink or Swim: The Appearance of Reading

When my two oldest boys were in swimming lessons, I remember watching them, amused, as they'd literally walk back and forth between the width of the pool while making big swim strokes with their arms.  I'd see other kids in the class actually swimming...but my boys? They were walking.  They were going through the motions of swimming, without actually swimming. This is often what we see in classrooms today.  Students appear to be reading...some even become quite expert at keeping up the appearance.  Their arms are doing their strokes perfectly...but if you look under the water?  They're only walking.   Let me explain. I had a student one year who severely struggled in school.   By the end of her kindergarten year, she only knew a handful of letters.  I remember placing a book in front of her as I administered our state-mandated end-of-year kindergarten test.  She vaguely looked at the words on the page and then studied the picture.  She looked back down and found th

Phonemic Awareness: Where Do I Start?

The Why: I was shocked when I read that phonemic awareness is the most common source of reading difficulties. What!?! Why in the world was I never taught about this in college?  Luckily, it has now become quite a hot topic in education, and for good reason. Before we get into the how of phonemic awareness, let's clear up a few terms that are often confused. First of all, this: (Image from  https://www.theliteracynest.com/ ) I often hear teachers use the terms phonics and phonemic awareness interchangeably, but they are two separate things. Phonemic awareness is an awareness of the individual sounds in a word. When you tie those sounds with print (letters)....it then becomes phonics. Another term that is often confused is phonological awareness and phonemic awareness. Phonological awareness is the umbrella term for the knowledge of sounds in spoken language.  Phonemic awareness is a subset skill and is the highest level of phonological awareness.  It is critical that