Skip to main content

Parent Perspective: The Dyslexia Diagnosis

Something's Off

     As mentioned in this post, I knew something was off with N from the time he was very little.  His speech was delayed and he didn't walk until he was 2 years old.  When N was 3, my neighbors and I organized a preschool co-op and I was surprised to see how much N struggled to learn new things (especially letter recognition).  What was going on?  N was exposed to lots of literature, education, museums, etc.  I had done everything I had done with my older two boys, and yet N was not progressing as his big brothers had.  I knew there was something wrong...this was more than just being a "late bloomer."

Auditory Processing Disorder?

One possibility I explored was auditory processing disorder or some other type of hearing disability.  N was very slow to react to auditory sounds...I often found myself quietly calling his name to see if he could hear me.  When he was 3, we took him to an audiologist where he actually failed the hearing test they gave him.  The doctor determined that it was due to fluid build up and we had tubes put in his ears.  After this procedure, he accurately passed a second hearing test.  However, I still wasn't convinced that solved everything.  To me, it still seemed that he processed sounds differently and slowly.

Preschool

When N was 4, I carefully selected a local preschool for him to go to.  I was looking for something that used a strong curriculum especially in literacy.  I chose a preschool that I thought would really help...but it didn't.  Additionally, I signed him up for Waterford's Upstart program.  N religiously did this online literacy program for 20 minutes a day, 5 days a week.  STILL, he did not learn his letters and struggled.  I remember repeatedly calling Waterford and saying, "It's too hard for my son...he can't do it.  You need to reset him to the beginning."  We had to "reset" him in the program over and over.  The program continued to move too fast for him, and he continued to struggle in the learning process.

Kindergarten

Then N entered kindergarten.  I knew going in that it was going to be a struggle.  His kindergarten teacher was not alarmed at the amount of letter/sounds he knew but I was.  N knew about half of the letters going in...which, now that I am a kinder teacher, I realize that is actually very good going into kindergarten.  However, my mama heart KNEW that it wasn't good for N because of how much intervention and exposure he had
already had.  At our first parent teacher conference in November I asked for him to be tested for resource.  His k teacher agreed...and had by then seen many of the concerns that I had.  She was so wonderful to us, even though the process for testing took much longer than it should have.  He eventually was tested in March/April and we had our first IEP in May.  I was frustrated that it took so long, but happy that resource would be in place by the time he started 1st grade. Surely we would start to see some progress now! (If you've read my earlier post, you know that N was also diagnosed with ADHD at this time.)

I Need Answers!

First grade and half of second grade went by.  N went to resource each day, but continued to fall further and further behind.  When N was in 2nd grade, I returned to teaching after my 12 year break.  I even got a job at the same school N and my other kids went to.   As I developed relationships both as a parent and coworker to his teachers, I decided that I REALLY wanted to understand the extent of his learning disabilities.  Why exactly was he struggling?  Why wasn't he progressing? What was going on?   I needed to be his advocate, because the gap was just getting wider. Something had to be done.

Side Note

In fall of that year, N had a huge "grand-mal" seizure...first one ever.  It was a huge shock and it's a whole separate post/issue.  -But as we met with neurologists over that issue, I took the opportunity to ask them about learning disabilities.  They pointed me in the direction of seeing a neuro-psychologist for testing.  There was quite a waiting list for the doctor we chose, but finally in February we took N to get tested.

Results Are In

I was nervous, excited, and anxious as we waited for the results appointment.  When we finally got to meet with the doctor, I was stunned.  N had SEVERE dyslexia and dysgraphia.  He also had moderate dyscalculia.  His working memory was extremely poor.  I asked for clarification...just how bad was it?  What exactly did "severe" mean?  The neuro-psych told me that out of all the patients that he tests every single year, N was in the 1%.  Meaning, only 1% of the kids he sees are as low/severe as N.  This was heartbreaking to me.  But even more heartbreaking...N was also diagnosed with depression.  The doctor reported how he had asked N if he was happy.  N solemnly replied, "Not very much."  I broke down crying when he told me that.  It was excruciating to hear as a mother.  But it also rang true...his depression was apparent...and it really centered around school.  He often cried in class.  He cried when he had to do homework.  He cried when he was frustrated.  Frequent meltdowns were not uncommon.

So to sum it up: When N was only 7 years old, he was diagnosed with dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, depression, and anxiety.  Only a couple months earlier he'd been diagnosed with epilepsy and a couple years prior to that he was diagnosed with ADHD.  In addition, only one month later, his pediatrician would diagnose him "failure to thrive" because he wasn't eating.  Quite a lot for such a little guy to handle.

Now What?

So the shock settled and I began to think.  Dyslexia?  What in the world?  Isn't that where you see things backwards? What exactly is it?  Can I do something about it? Ha, I had NO clue.  And here's something even more shocking, teachers are NOT taught about dyslexia.  Yes, it's true and it's insane. It is literally the MOST COMMON learning disability, affecting approximately 20% of the population, yet it's barely mentioned in teacher prep programs or in professional development courses.  I was a teacher and yet I KNEW NOTHING about it.  No one at my school really knew anything about it either.  What was I supposed to do?

And so the spark was lit.  And my huge learning journey began.


Please watch for upcoming posts on this topic and check out a list of dyslexia symptoms by age here.





Comments

  1. We’ve had Kye enrolled in a online program called Lexcersize. He hasn’t been officially diagnosed with dyslexia but all the evaluations he has had done lead us in that direction. It has helped tremendously. It’s expensive but it’s definitely worth it. We love little Nathan . He’s Kyes buddy. ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing this blog! It's fascinating to read your experience as both a teacher and a parent. I have identical twins with dyslexia, dyscalculia, and anxiety. Our experience has been very similar to yours - shock that our school couldn't see it, shock that I had to figure it out myself, shock that they would have let my kids go on struggling indefinitely, shock that our education schools are not training teachers in research based reading instruction methods, etc, etc. I've shared some of our story in these two places: https://goetschblog.wordpress.com/2016/06/08/mystery-solved-dyslexia/ and https://goetschblog.wordpress.com/2017/02/28/why-im-for-school-choice-as-a-special-needs-parent/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate your blog, it's helpful and has many great resources. My daughter is 5 and has severe to profound dyslexia. She was also diagnosed with Auditory Processing disorder and I wonder if she has dyscalculia. I homeschool her and use the Barton reading system and this has been a huge blessing. My question is..did you do the therapy to help with the Auditory Processing disorder and if so did it help? I would like to get her tested for dyscalculia, where did you find someone to test your son? Thanks and take care.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The 7 Deadly Errors of Teaching Reading

There’s a wrong way to teach reading and, unfortunately, it’s also the most popular way.   So, if you’ve ever committed these teaching errors, don’t worry, you’re not alone.   I’ve been there, too.   I was shocked when I realized that many teacher prep courses and even professional development classes are teaching reading methods not supported by science.   If you’re reading this blog and find yourself surprised or even defensive at these “errors,” please take a moment to step back, take a deep breath, and use it as a springboard to start your journey into learning more about the science of reading.   Instead of feeling denial, guilt, or anger…I encourage you to simply learn more and do better. Deadly Error #1:   3-Cueing Strategies (aka the Beanie Baby Reading Strategies)               I know they’re cute and cuddly. I know everyone uses them. I know you’ve scoured dozens of thrift stores to finally complete your set.   But there is actually no research to support these “B

Sink or Swim: The Appearance of Reading

When my two oldest boys were in swimming lessons, I remember watching them, amused, as they'd literally walk back and forth between the width of the pool while making big swim strokes with their arms.  I'd see other kids in the class actually swimming...but my boys? They were walking.  They were going through the motions of swimming, without actually swimming. This is often what we see in classrooms today.  Students appear to be reading...some even become quite expert at keeping up the appearance.  Their arms are doing their strokes perfectly...but if you look under the water?  They're only walking.   Let me explain. I had a student one year who severely struggled in school.   By the end of her kindergarten year, she only knew a handful of letters.  I remember placing a book in front of her as I administered our state-mandated end-of-year kindergarten test.  She vaguely looked at the words on the page and then studied the picture.  She looked back down and found th

Phonemic Awareness: Where Do I Start?

The Why: I was shocked when I read that phonemic awareness is the most common source of reading difficulties. What!?! Why in the world was I never taught about this in college?  Luckily, it has now become quite a hot topic in education, and for good reason. Before we get into the how of phonemic awareness, let's clear up a few terms that are often confused. First of all, this: (Image from  https://www.theliteracynest.com/ ) I often hear teachers use the terms phonics and phonemic awareness interchangeably, but they are two separate things. Phonemic awareness is an awareness of the individual sounds in a word. When you tie those sounds with print (letters)....it then becomes phonics. Another term that is often confused is phonological awareness and phonemic awareness. Phonological awareness is the umbrella term for the knowledge of sounds in spoken language.  Phonemic awareness is a subset skill and is the highest level of phonological awareness.  It is critical that