Skip to main content

Tips for the SDE National Conference in Las Vegas


Attending the 2018 SDE I Teach Conference in Las Vegas was so inspirational! I learned so much and got to connect with educators from around the country.  I loved hearing from a variety of speakers and teachers on all different topics. There was something to take away from each presentation and I loved being able to customize my schedule for the things I needed to hear.  Here are some of my highlights and top tips if you are planning to go:

1. Check In Early

We checked in at the Venetian on Sunday evening and even then we experienced a long line...but it was nothing compared to the check-in line on Monday.  So, as soon as you get into town, I'd recommend checking in at your hotel.
Also, SDE was nice enough to open up registration on Sunday evening as well.  So we walked around the hotel a bit and then made our way to the SDE booth.  There was no line and I was able to pick up my registration materials and take some pics without fighting my way through hundreds of people.

2. Stay at the Venetian


Okay, I don't work for the Venetian or anything, but I would definitely recommend staying there! It's a bit more expensive than other nearby hotels, but it's so nice to stay right at the location of the conference.  It is huge, so I caution you to get a hotel map and not be afraid to ask the hotel workers for directions.  I'm glad my hubbie tagged along because I needed him to walk me to and from the conference the first couple days! 😆 Just walking from our room to the conference would take about 10 minutes.  I can't imagine having to walk to a separate hotel, farther away.

The rooms are huge and beautiful! There is tons to do and see without even leaving the hotel.  There are lots of restaurants, a shopping mall, a canal complete with gondola rides, and more.

3. Go to the Pre-Conference

I'm so glad I payed a bit extra to attend the pre-conference. Being able to spend the whole day with one presenter, really helps you dive deep into what they're teaching. I did "DI for the Little Guy" by Kim Adsit. She is such a fun and engaging speaker and I loved learning some ideas for differentiating in my classroom.

4. Visit the Exhibition Hall

It was SO fun walking around all the vendors in the exhibition hall.  When you check in, you will get a coupon book to fill out for prize drawings.  Just visit each vendor's booth and hand them your coupon. Thankfully I heard the tip to make labels.  Printing out about 60 labels (I did 100 but had lots of extras) makes it so simple to enter each drawing. Just slap a label on the coupon and drop in the box.  Here's a sample of one of the coupons so you know what info you'll need to put on the label:
Another tip regarding the exhibition hall is don't wait to buy! If you see something you want, your best bet is to buy it then before it sells out.  I saw a darling puppet and book for "Five Little Ducks" but decided to think it over. I went back to buy it the next day and they were all sold out.

Also, write down some of the neat things you'll see, but don't have the money for.  I made a list and then began writing grants when I got home.  I received a huge grant for the augmented reality program: Letters Alive. I never knew this amazing product existed until I went to the conference. I am so glad I visited their booth and got to check out their product first.
My favorite part of the whole conference was meeting these amazing ladies from the Institute for Multi-Sensory Education. I also attended their session which had me literally craving more information about the Orton-Gillingham approach.  As I spoke with one of them after the session, we were both in tears sharing stories of teaching others with dyslexia.  I knew I needed to learn more, so imagine my surprise when I WON the $1200 training they were giving away! I am attending the session in March and literally can. not. wait.

5. Go to the Keynote

Whoever SDE chooses as the keynote speaker, GO!  There is something so exhilarating about being in a room filled with educators who would give up part of their summer for professional learning. The energy in the room was magnetic!  I was able to learn from Dr. Becky Bailey about Conscious Discipline. I was incredibly inspired by her message.

6. Take Pictures


Most presenters welcome you to take pictures of their slides.  I wasn't always able to write fast enough in my notebook, so it was great to take lots of pictures of the info they were presenting.

7. Visit the ESGI Booth

Just do it. Seriously, it will change your life!  Watch some of their demonstrations and spin the wheel for a prize. Insider tip, if you don't win big the first day..spin again the next day. They told me I could spin once every day.  I was lucky enough to win a year of free ESGI and I don't think I could ever go back to not using it.

8. Go to the Entertainment

Go to the entertainment activities SDE will have planned.  We saw a hilarious performance by Gerry Brooks on Monday and I even ran into him in the hotel!
I can't even begin to describe the Koo Koo Kanga Roo concert on Thursday.  It was so hilarious to be in this room of teachers...all jamming, dancing, and singing to this kids' group! And you know they were all doing it to tell their students about it afterwards. It was amazingly fun!

9. Be Social

In many ways, I'm glad I attended this conference by myself and without my team from school or district.  It really forced me to get out of my comfort zone and talk to others.  And I found that I learned SO much just chatting with other teachers who were sitting near me at lunch, in a class, on break, or wherever.  It was nice to compare notes and discuss what kindergarten was like in our different states.  I also met up with a group of teachers who I had met online in a SDE Facebook group. So fun!

10. Download the App

The SDE app is a MUST! It has the schedule, class descriptions, maps, presenter info, handouts and more.  There is a forum to talk and connect with others. There is also a conference game if you want to participate with different challenges and things to do to earn points.  I was very proud to end up in 3rd place on the leaderboard!  I was hoping to win a prize, but alas, I did not.  I never heard anything more about it afterwards...so I'm not sure if they even awarded prizes to anyone on the leaderboard?  -But I had fun playing anyway.  Some people choose to turn the game off, so as not to be distracted from the main reason of going to the conference. It's nice to have the option.

11. Pay Attention to Social Media

SDE is active on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.  So whatever social media platform you prefer, post pics of the conference and tag SDE.  You just might win a prize! That's how I won these SDE cookies and clipfolio.

12. Wear Comfortable Shoes

As I mentioned earlier, the hotel is HUGE and you will be doing lots of walking. Leave your heels at home...it's just not worth it!

13.  Bring a sweater

Vegas is unbearably hot in the summer, so the hotel keeps the a/c on full blast. Bring a sweater each day to wear in class.

14. Bring a Charger

Because you'll be taking all those pictures and spending time browsing the SDE app, you'll want to bring a charger to class because your battery will drain quickly.

15. Relax

Take some time away from the conference to relax and see a show.  I loved lounging by the pool and the hotel has many to choose from.  Also, going to see Cirque De Soleil is a MUST.  We saw Mystere over at Treasure Island and it was jaw dropping.  Buy tickets in advance to make sure it's not sold out!

16. Return to the Exhibit Hall the Last Day

Make sure to return to the exhibit hall on the last day.  Vendors will give huge discounts because they don't want to bring everything home!

17. Pack an Extra Bag

You will want to pack an extra bag for the flight home.  Whether you spend a lot of money in the exhibit hall or not, you will receive a lot of free goodies from vendors and some of the classes.  The picture above is all the things I either won or was given at the conference.

18. Free Muffins for Breakfast

Most mornings free muffins and coffee were provided.  This was a great way to get a quick breakfast without waiting in a line.  There was a wide variety of muffin flavors and I was surprised how tasty they were! I'm not a coffee drinker, but if you don't like the free coffee there is also a Starbucks right inside the hotel next to the entrance to the conference area.  The line was usually pretty long in the mornings though.

19. Eat at the Grand Lux Cafe

This was our favorite restaurant while in Vegas!  My husband and I ate there twice during the week and seriously considered going a third time (then we decided we should branch out, lol).  But the portions were very generous, food delicious, and the prices were reasonable.  Most prices are super high in Vegas, so this was a great choice for us.  The service was also amazing.

20.  Make a Game Plan

When you get home, make a game plan for how you are going to implement the things you learned. Take some time to review your notes and the handouts.  Almost all classes will have handouts available on the SDE website.  You will have access to ALL of them (even the classes you didn't attend) for a year.  Take some time to download and save the ones you want to keep for reference.  Also, summer is a great time to decide what new things you want to try and perhaps start prepping those ideas before you get too busy.

I hope you enjoyed my tips!  Planning to go?  Here is the link for more info. Have fun at the conference and hope to see you there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 7 Deadly Errors of Teaching Reading

There’s a wrong way to teach reading and, unfortunately, it’s also the most popular way.   So, if you’ve ever committed these teaching errors, don’t worry, you’re not alone.   I’ve been there, too.   I was shocked when I realized that many teacher prep courses and even professional development classes are teaching reading methods not supported by science.   If you’re reading this blog and find yourself surprised or even defensive at these “errors,” please take a moment to step back, take a deep breath, and use it as a springboard to start your journey into learning more about the science of reading.   Instead of feeling denial, guilt, or anger…I encourage you to simply learn more and do better. Deadly Error #1:   3-Cueing Strategies (aka the Beanie Baby Reading Strategies)               I know they’re cute and cuddly. I know everyone uses them. I know you’ve scoured dozens of thrift stores to finally complete your set.   But there is actually no research to support these “B

Sink or Swim: The Appearance of Reading

When my two oldest boys were in swimming lessons, I remember watching them, amused, as they'd literally walk back and forth between the width of the pool while making big swim strokes with their arms.  I'd see other kids in the class actually swimming...but my boys? They were walking.  They were going through the motions of swimming, without actually swimming. This is often what we see in classrooms today.  Students appear to be reading...some even become quite expert at keeping up the appearance.  Their arms are doing their strokes perfectly...but if you look under the water?  They're only walking.   Let me explain. I had a student one year who severely struggled in school.   By the end of her kindergarten year, she only knew a handful of letters.  I remember placing a book in front of her as I administered our state-mandated end-of-year kindergarten test.  She vaguely looked at the words on the page and then studied the picture.  She looked back down and found th

Phonemic Awareness: Where Do I Start?

The Why: I was shocked when I read that phonemic awareness is the most common source of reading difficulties. What!?! Why in the world was I never taught about this in college?  Luckily, it has now become quite a hot topic in education, and for good reason. Before we get into the how of phonemic awareness, let's clear up a few terms that are often confused. First of all, this: (Image from  https://www.theliteracynest.com/ ) I often hear teachers use the terms phonics and phonemic awareness interchangeably, but they are two separate things. Phonemic awareness is an awareness of the individual sounds in a word. When you tie those sounds with print (letters)....it then becomes phonics. Another term that is often confused is phonological awareness and phonemic awareness. Phonological awareness is the umbrella term for the knowledge of sounds in spoken language.  Phonemic awareness is a subset skill and is the highest level of phonological awareness.  It is critical that