Skip to main content

How To CoronaSchool in Kindergarten

Teachers around the world are quickly having to figure out how to deliver instruction online.  The past week has been a whirlwind of emotions for me.  Things have not been easy and, yes, tears have been shed.  I'm still trying to figure out how to handle the stress of creating daily lessons for my 27 kindergartners, while also providing and organizing the instruction of my own 4 children.  And just when I thought things couldn't get worse, we had a 5.7 earthquake on Wednesday morning, the first official day of remote learning in my district.  My house was swaying, my daughter was crying...and then I had to go in to my school, nervous and unsure where the day would go.

But I'm happy to say that I have come up with a plan for online learning for my students.  I would love to share what I'm doing in case it helps any of you.  Please be kind in your critiques...things won't be even close to perfect...and my instruction won't be as comprehensive as normal.

As I thought about how I wanted to roll things out, I knew I wanted everything as simple and concise as possible.  I didn't want parents to have to click back and forth between task lists.  I also wanted something that students could mostly do independently...without a lot of guidance or instruction from parents.  I decided to create one daily Nearpod lesson.  I email parents the code of the day and a list of materials needed.  They help the student put the code in and then I will walk the students through everything they need to do for the day.

Teaching kindergarten means I need to record LOTS of videos.  Obviously, they can't just read a list of instructions.  I also didn't want to use a lot of the resources floating around the internet because I knew my kinders needed to see ME.  They want to see me teaching their lesson, singing songs, reading books, etc.  I also knew, that it wouldn't be possible to do videos of everything we normally do in the classroom.  My district asked us to provide 40 minutes each in math, reading, and science.  We have half-day kindergarten in Utah...which means only 20 minutes of each. With all that in mind, I began planning my daily lessons.

First up, I recorded the song and calendar we start with each morning.


Then we do our Heggerty phonemic awareness routine.
Then we do a 3-part phonics drill.  This is something my students are used to.  The only unusual thing is that we normally do the last part of the drill in sand.
Next, I sometimes record a phonics lesson.  I just use the whiteboard and have students use whiteboards at home.  (Last week I asked all my parents if they had a whiteboard and marker at home...or if they could put a white sheet of paper inside a page protector.  A few of them checked out whiteboard markers from me.)

Then we go into our listening comprehension/science lesson.  The pictures in this video are from the CKLA curriculum...you can download the lessons and materials free online.  I just used the screen recording function in PowerPoint to flip through the PDF's and record my voice reading the story and asking the questions.
Then we have a writing activity.

Next up, is math.  I like to include a YouTube song or two as a warm-up.  My students LOVE Jack Hartman's Count to 100...so I love to put that one in.  Then I record a video of me teaching the math concept.  Sometimes it's something like this:

Or sometimes I do something more high-tech:

Honestly, don't bore yourself watching those entire videos! Haha.  This is just to give you an idea...and please know that these were made quickly and I know there are mistakes.  But when you only have 2 days to figure out how to teach online, that's how it goes. :)

I usually include some type of closing video, letting them know what they can do if they'd like more.  I encourage the following apps: ST Math, Teach Your Monster to Read, and Epic.  I've also sent home decodable books for students to read each night.

Sometimes I throw other fun videos in as well.  I saw Dr. Jean post a darling Coronavirus song online...and I knew I had to replicate.  So, tomorrow, my students will see this:


Let's see what else...I keep all students accountable by having them use the Seesaw app.  They take pictures of their work in this app...and then I get to see and comment on it.  I was very lucky that we could put together packets of work that the parents could come pick up.  We also let parents come check out ipads/devices if they needed them.  Which actually led to a huge problem...

My district blocks YouTube...so if students want to access my Nearpods on a school device, they won't be able to see my videos.  I can't put the videos from my computer directly into Nearpod because they are too big. I found this out Tuesday morning after I had already created 3 Nearpods.  I seriously cried because of all the hours of work wasted!  Luckily, I found a solution.  It's time-consuming, but doable.  I downloaded "4k Video Downloader" and put all my videos in there and then was able to upload to Nearpod directly.   If you fall into this camp, I made a video explaining this process.  And if you're curious how these videos all look in a Nearpod, I show that at the beginning of the video.


I hope this helps some of you!  This has been such a huge journey and steep learning curve for all of us.  Hang in there and please let me know if you have any questions!


Comments

  1. This is fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing. My thoughts were similar but now that I have seen it I know this will work! I do have one question. On the Science video you said you used screen recording in powerpoint. I've not done that before but think I can figure that out. What did you then upload to youtube? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, first make sure you have the Recording section in your ribbon in PowerPoint. In PowerPoint, click on file and then click on options. Then click "customize ribbon" on the left side. Then check the box with "recording" in the right column and click ok. After I did my screen recordings, there is a "export to video" option within that "recordings" tab. This saves it as a video file on your computer. Then I uploaded to YouTube. I hope that made sense! Thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  2. Thank you! I kind of got it. I inserted my pdf and recorded it. How do I get rid of the floating box where I recorded? Thank you for your help. I know you are busy with your own class stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm, sorry not sure what that could be?

      Delete
  3. LOVE it! Thank you so much for your ideas, they're so helpful! How do you do the more high tech video option you did for the Math videos? Is that also using the screen recorder in PowerPoint or something else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is PowerPoint. I use the screen recording option and I also will create a few slides in PowerPoint. Then I just click "recording" and "from beginning" and then you can record yourself talking as you flip through the slides. You can also choose the option to include a video of yourself in the corner while you're talking. I had to play around with it a bit!

      Delete
  4. I love this!! This has been so helpful! Do you know if there is a place in Nearpod for students to submit their work also, so that everything is in one place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can create activities within Nearpod...and then, yes, they can submit right there. For example, next week I created a match game and a picture response and they will submit that within Nearpod. :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the demo. This was very helpful. How di you make the interactive 10 frame slide?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find something similar here: https://www.didax.com/math/virtual-manipulatives.html

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the ideas! I think it will be easier if I go into my classroom to record some videos- I have the choice to stay at home. Our schools are re-opening Monday, but none of my students will be back- parents are wary to send them back. I am just wondering if using Zoom would be better as it would be more interactive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoom is great! I use that as well. -But, many parents find it stressful to join Zoom calls at a certain time. Because of that, I keep my Zoom sessions optional.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The 7 Deadly Errors of Teaching Reading

There’s a wrong way to teach reading and, unfortunately, it’s also the most popular way.   So, if you’ve ever committed these teaching errors, don’t worry, you’re not alone.   I’ve been there, too.   I was shocked when I realized that many teacher prep courses and even professional development classes are teaching reading methods not supported by science.   If you’re reading this blog and find yourself surprised or even defensive at these “errors,” please take a moment to step back, take a deep breath, and use it as a springboard to start your journey into learning more about the science of reading.   Instead of feeling denial, guilt, or anger…I encourage you to simply learn more and do better. Deadly Error #1:   3-Cueing Strategies (aka the Beanie Baby Reading Strategies)               I know they’re cute and cuddly. I know everyone uses them. I know you’ve scoured dozens of thrift stores to finally complete your set.   But there is actually no research to support these “B

Sink or Swim: The Appearance of Reading

When my two oldest boys were in swimming lessons, I remember watching them, amused, as they'd literally walk back and forth between the width of the pool while making big swim strokes with their arms.  I'd see other kids in the class actually swimming...but my boys? They were walking.  They were going through the motions of swimming, without actually swimming. This is often what we see in classrooms today.  Students appear to be reading...some even become quite expert at keeping up the appearance.  Their arms are doing their strokes perfectly...but if you look under the water?  They're only walking.   Let me explain. I had a student one year who severely struggled in school.   By the end of her kindergarten year, she only knew a handful of letters.  I remember placing a book in front of her as I administered our state-mandated end-of-year kindergarten test.  She vaguely looked at the words on the page and then studied the picture.  She looked back down and found th

Phonemic Awareness: Where Do I Start?

The Why: I was shocked when I read that phonemic awareness is the most common source of reading difficulties. What!?! Why in the world was I never taught about this in college?  Luckily, it has now become quite a hot topic in education, and for good reason. Before we get into the how of phonemic awareness, let's clear up a few terms that are often confused. First of all, this: (Image from  https://www.theliteracynest.com/ ) I often hear teachers use the terms phonics and phonemic awareness interchangeably, but they are two separate things. Phonemic awareness is an awareness of the individual sounds in a word. When you tie those sounds with print (letters)....it then becomes phonics. Another term that is often confused is phonological awareness and phonemic awareness. Phonological awareness is the umbrella term for the knowledge of sounds in spoken language.  Phonemic awareness is a subset skill and is the highest level of phonological awareness.  It is critical that